Because I have been Ill so often, I know that I can overcome anything in my life. Nothing is ever going to hold me back from my dreams.
I have 8 scars on my abdomen ranging from 1 inch to 4 inches. These scars were acquired in a 4 years period and over 4 different surgeries. These surgeries were scary and extremely difficult but I've learned that these situations are what you make of them. Here are the top things I've learned from going through surgery that have made me a better person, and will hopefully give you a new perspective on things:
- Nobody is invincible and at some point in your life something will happen that will shatter your perception of reality.
- A situation is what you make it, and nobody can determine what you make of it but you.
- Surrounding yourself with loved ones eases the pain and provides unwavering encouragement and support.
- Everyone's life is abnormal in it's own way and we form connections by finding similarities amongst our differences.
- My scars tell a story of strength and perseverance and are a constant reminder that God has a plan for my life.
Wether or not your scars are physical or emotional, everyone has scars. Everyone's scars are different. Some are healed and some are still tender to the touch, but they are all scars. We are told to hide our scars and that they make us unattractive or disfigured, but I view scars as badge of courage and strength. They tell a story of what you've overcome, so share your story with those around you and be proud of your scars. Because to me, my scars help tell the story of my not so normal life.